HousingWhen an individual has a stable environment, they are better able to create a stable life. At The People Concern, we work to house program participants as quickly as possible and provide wraparound supportive services.
Interim Housing: Due to the shortage of available affordable housing, our program participants often need interim housing during the time it takes for a permanent housing option to become available to them. For this reason, The People Concern operates multiple housing programs throughout LA County:
- Cloverfield Services Center in Santa Monica
- Samoshel in Santa Monica
- Turning Point in Santa Monica
- The Village in Skid Row
- El Puente in Downtown Los Angeles (the first of Mayor Eric Garcetti's "A Bridge Home" housing sites)
- SOLAR in South LA
- Two domestic violence shelters as part of Sojourn
Program participants benefit from an array of basic living services during their stays including meals, semi-private cubicles to sleep in, accommodating private storage for personal belongings, phone, television, mail service, and more. Program participants also receive individualized, intensive case management, and establish goal plans, and connections to other services.
Housing Coordination: Our multidisciplinary staff individualize services and interventions according to the needs of each participant. The development of an individualized housing and care plan begins right away. In addition to income and benefits assistance, applications are completed with the help of case managers to apply for the best fit housing available or through other avenues outside of voucher assistance. Program participants are supplemented with the knowledge of basic living skills, housing counseling, assistance in understanding the nuances of a lease, securing utilities, making moving arrangements, being a good neighbor, proper care of their living space, representative payee services for rent and utilities when needed, and mediation and outreach to property owners related to locating or retaining housing.
Housing Navigation: Staff provide housing location services, including assisting program participants with locating affordable permanent housing and establishing relationships with landlords/agencies willing to provide affordable permanent housing to program participants. Additional services include:
- Transportation to and from appointments, meetings, and housing searches as needed.
- Assistance negotiating rental agreements, and educating program participants on tenant rights and responsibilities.
- Rental assistance, security or utility deposits, moving costs, or emergency supplies.
- Eviction prevention counseling, advocacy, and intervention to develop and implement strategies to maximize housing sustainability.
Permanent Supportive Housing: In order to permanently end homelessness for our program participants, our extensive Permanent Housing Services Department works collaboratively with case managers and housing navigators to match program participants with best fit housing that will meet their specific needs. This can mean:
- Individual apartments, arranged with one of the many landlords with whom The People Concern has developed positive, mutually beneficial relationships over the years
- Obtaining an apartment or home through government-subsidized Housing Choice Vouchers
- Project-based housing, where other previously homeless program participants live, with onsite supportive services
- Shared housing, in which several individuals share a large home
- “Board and care” for program participants who need additional supports
- Skilled nursing facilities for program participants who require advanced medical assistance
- Sober living programs
- Special housing programs for unique populations, such as veterans and/or seniors
- Reunification to family and loved ones